My Website

Main website: show.admoss.info

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Flutter

Flutter is Google's promise of write once, run anywhere. And it actually delivers!

Unfortunately, there is a downside. I had to learn yet another programming language. Dart.

Dart is a lot like Java. I quite like that. 

In practice it lost me in a sea of parentheses and braces, leaving me bewildered regarding why my efforts were not rendering as I wanted.

I'm not sure I gave Flutter enough attention before I gave up. Perhaps I would get used to the parentheses and braces if I put in more effort. Maybe I would learn to tame them by using components the way I do in Blazor. Maybe I'm just getting too old to learn new tricks.

Flutter certainly delivers on the write once run anywhere promise. The same code I wrote on my Macbook compiled and ran as a native app on the Macbook under MacOS and in an iPhone simulator under iOs. It also ran as a server-side web application as viewed in any of my Browsers. I have no doubt it would run under Windows if I compiled it on a Windows box, or Linux too. All without the need for a code signing certificate that ruined my .Net Maui adventure.

I may give it another go later, but for now getting lost in the sea of parentheses was just too much for me.

No comments: